Image Map

A Journey (part 13)--- BFP!!!!! and betas

12 June 2014

Today is April 10, 2014. Last night I decided I would POAS when I was 13 days post IUI. However, I woke up this morning with a different idea in my head. I felt like I should take the pregnancy test this morning (12 days post IUI) because I had a dream last night that I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive! So I decided to fight back my fears of it being negative and take the test.... and well... I stared at that stick as a second line appeared...and it was surreal.

I couldn't believe it---I was in shock!! I prayed and thanked my Heavenly Father- I know that He is the one that allowed this miracle to happen for us. He is WONDERFUL! He blessed us with another pregnancy! It's been nearly 2 years since we began this journey, and I'm crying tears of joy right now. I can't even begin to explain how happy my heart is right now, but it's full and bursting with gratitude.

I'm meeting Jared for lunch today (he's at work), and can't wait to share the news with him! Our prayers have been answered!! I used the little babycenter.com calculator and am estimating that I'm due mid december (but not sure how accurate that is with fertility treatments) but I made this to break the news to him:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telling Jared:
We discussed last night that we were going to meet for lunch today- so this wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I picked up lunch and brought it to a park that was near Jared's work. Jared went to the car to grab some hand sanitizer before eating, and when he came back... this was waiting for him:

 He was so surprised and was equally as pleased! 

Today has honestly been one of the best days of my life. I'm so happy and feeling so blessed!

*****
Today is April 17, 2014. I had my first beta test on Tuesday. This is where they test the amount of beta hcg in your blood. It tells you  how viable the pregnancy will most likely be (the amount is supposed to double every 48 hours). It can also sometimes be an early indicator of how many babies are growing.

I spent some time looking at this website  http://new.betabase.info ...it tells you what the average betas are for singletons, twins and triplet+. If you look at that website at 16DPO it says:

Singleton median: 278    (highest reported 3,607)
Twin median:        542     (highest reported 3,121)
Triplet median:     677     (highest reported 3,654)

My score was 1,185.

Now, they say not to think too much about betas because everyone's normal is different. Some people can have an extremely high beta score, but are only be pregnant with one baby, and on the flip side, sometimes women have extremely low beta scores and are pregnant with twins. So this isn't a for sure indicator of how many babies I'm carrying, but it's still fun to look at and think about!! Typically doctors do at least two betas that are 48 hours apart.... but my RE doc told me that because my score was so high, she doesn't think I need to come in for a second.

I had three (maybe four) eggs. For IUI's even with that many eggs, it is most common that only one egg will fertilize and will result in one baby. Twins can result, although it is significantly less common. Triplets resulting from an IUI are extremely rare. Quads resulting from an IUI are almost non existent.

You guys. I know that me having a high beta score doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to have multiples...but the thought of it makes me so excited! I've always wanted multiples.... but of course I will be just as happy even if there is just one baby in there. I'm just so excited and thankful to be pregnant at all!

My first ultrasound is on May 5th at 7 weeks 1 day- that is the day we will find out how many little ones I have growing inside. That is less than 3 weeks away! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm dying to hear how many you're having! I can't wait for the next posts! My beta was super high after our 2nd IUI and we just had one, healthy little peanut! I would've been fine with twins at that point too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dying here too. UPDATE US!! and congrats, of course. what a long road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been patiently following along on your journey and it was so heart wrenching to read all that you went through. I'm so so happy you finally got that positive test! What a blessing! And I can't wait to hear more!!! I hope everything is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow wow why is it way past May 5th and we still haven't heard the results of the ultrasound? You are cruel! On the upside, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Part #10 and #11 were pretty rough for me to read--let alone for you to actually experience I'm sure. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're pretty happy too ;)
      ps I died laughing at your Phil and Lil comment on FB. hahaha I used to love that show!

      Delete

Thanks...for commenting!!