Image Map

Anaphylactic shock

19 July 2014

So... those cute little gender announcement photos in the previous post? There is quite a story behind them. The day before those pictures were taken, I went out and bought special pink and blue glasses/cups and straws for our gender reveal photo. I was just going to take a timer picture of us holding them. I got the idea from this picture:

source
I liked this idea, because it was nothing over the top, was cheap, and would be a simple way to get the message out to the world about the wonderful news of our boy/girl twins. I took the ice-cream picture the day before not thinking I would use it as a gender reveal photo (same shirt two days in a row don't judge haha) but I ended up using it anyways because, we didn't get an opportunity to take a picture of those cups like I had planned....

Jared was mowing the lawn right before we were going to take the pictures. To kill time, I took a few pictures of Kyler and some blue/pink baby bottles outside just for fun. While I was taking pictures of Kyler, Jared ran over a hornet's nest with the lawnmower, and he got stung three times in his calf/shin.

The first thing he did was run inside for a can of Raid. I thought he was crazy for going back near the hornets nest, but thankfully he didn't get stung again. After the nest was demolished, he said he was starting to itch on his back, and went inside to rinse off in the shower.

After a few minutes I got a panicky feeling and I thought "It can't be normal for his back to feel that itchy from a bee sting on his leg... so itchy that he had to stop mowing the lawn and take a shower? Is he okay....?" I dropped the bottles, grabbed Kyler's hand and ran inside to make sure Jared was okay.

"Char?" He yelled down the stairs as soon as he heard the door open.

"Are you okay?" I hollered back up.

"Go put Kyler in the car, my whole body is itching now and my throat is starting to tighten."

I caught a glimpse of him as he was trying to walk down the stairs, and no joke, his face was so puffy he looked like the guy from Hitch and his food allergy:


So of course I went into panic mode thinking he was going to die. I told him I was going to call 911, but he refused, and said we could get to urgent care faster than an ambulance would make it to the house anyways.

Jared's entire body was covered in hives by the time we arrived at urgent care, the front desk got him right in with a doctor, who within minutes was giving him injections of -who-knows-what- before we had time to fill out any paperwork.  We had to stay at urgent care for a good 1.5 hrs to be monitored, and then the doctor wrote him a few prescriptions, and we were on our way.

Not so photogenic for a gender reveal photo right? hah

The doctor told us that the severity of allergies like this strengthens with each exposer, so next time he gets stung, he very well may need an EpiPen.  So our house is now stocked with EpiPens.
... but let's hope we never have to use them!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really scary!! Glad that he is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I'm so sorry! That is so scary! I'm glad it turned out okay though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! Glad all is well now...such a scare. I too am allergic to bee/wasp stings. I got stung when I was 14, my finger swelled up and my throat was closing up and I was breaking out in hives. My parents didn't think I was serious and called like the 1-800-ASK-A-NURSE and was chatting it up and when they told the nurse my throat was closing, the nurse said, "TAKE HER TO THE ER!" and then they believed me and took me to get the shot. #parentfail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dangit char I wanted to see a pic of his FACE! haha glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks...for commenting!!