Image Map

Temper Tantrums

04 February 2013




pic link


Two weeks ago, Kyler entered a new phase. Temper tantrums. He is two years old. I was expecting this phase to come sooner or later, but I didn't realize how big of a deal tantrums really can be! Toddlers throw tantrums for various reasons: not being able to communicate, getting frustrated when something isn't working, wanting things their way, wanting to be with parents instead of nursery, and these reasons seem to amplify if the toddler is tired, hungry, or wants more attention.

In the Child Development classes I took in college, we studied tantrums: heightened emotions cause a  hormone to be released known as the "fight or flight" hormone which can lead to abnormal responses.  I know tantrums are a normal part development, but I never thought that my own child would have them (silly mom thinking).  Being frustrated at his stage in life is unavoidable while he is still learning how to speak and express his feelings, but in the mean time we have found several tactics that help Kyler get over his temper tantrums more quickly. Some of them include: distraction, extra attention, and prevention...but the method that seems to work best with Kyler at this stage is time-out.

We remove him from the situation and have him sit in a chair and fold his arms. We tell him why he was behaving the way he was (to help him understand his emotions) and tell him how he should behave next time it happens (ask mommy/daddy for help). When he has calmed down (usually 2 minutes or less) we have him apologize and we give him hugs for comfort. That's it! After a time-out he is back to being his happy little self!

It can be very frustrating and upsetting as a mom to watch my little boy that I love so much throw nasty temper tantrums. Sometimes it's hard to remain calm (especially if it is in public or in front of friends/ family) but I just have to remind myself that today he is two, and before I know it he will be grown! I need to be the best mommy that I can be now so that he can grow into a charming young man (just like his daddy) later in life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! I just wanted to say thanks for visiting my bloggy a while back :) I wanted to comment back and say that my little one is about to turn 1, but I'm already terrified of tantrums! I wish you the best of luck in this stage!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks...for commenting!!