Image Map

Offended

28 February 2013

  I wrote this blog post at 3am, and decided to post it to the blog...just in case your curious what goes through my mind in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. Here it is:


   I'm typing this with my right hand's thumb here on my phone (other hand is propping my head up in bed) in the middle of the night because I can't sleep. I shouldn't have taken that glorious 1.5 hour nap while Kyler was napping too. It's late and I'm probably going to read this in the morning and not remember a word I wrote. Oh well!

Over the past couple of months I have discovered a personality trait of mine that I want to change. A weakness. Here it is:  

                                                           I get easily offended.

Here are a few thoughts that have run through my head in the past week- All about different people.
"I can't believe ____said that to me!"
"______didn't respond to my text, call , or email. Is there anything more rude?"
"Why don't they ever invite me? Do they not like me or something?"

 For the first 20 years of my life there wasn't a single person I didn't like or get along with. You might think I'm lying, but it's true. However, these past four years things have been different. Let me clarify. I don't hate anyone. It just seems like I stopped trying to be friends with people who have offended me. I'm wondering why that is?

The problem with being easily offended is that it can ruin some friendships, and it can prevent other friendships from ever growing. If you let it. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I'm realizing now that just because a person made a mistake, doesn't mean they are a bad person, or unworthy of my friendship. I make mistakes too. Everybody does. Why would I throw away something valuable like a friendship just  because of a minor flaw that they have? Would I throw away my new leather couch if Kyler made a small scratch on it? Absolutely not! (good analogy huh? okay well it seems like a good one now. In the middle of the night...in my loopy state of mind. Go with it. Okay?)

I need to stop focusing on the little flaws that people have, and look for the good things in people! I would hate for someone to not be friends with me just because they got offended over something that is one of my flaws or something I didn't even mean to say or do.

I really believe that any two people, no matter how different they are can become really good friends! Everybody is valuable; it just takes a little some times a lot of effort from each person to forgive and forget and not let our little flaws get in the way of something good.

"To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else." -David A. Bednar

From now on I choose to not be offended. Whew, feels good to get that out of my head. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Not only do I sometimes get easily offended, but sometimes I'm thoughtless with other people and may offend them just because I don't think about it! This is a wonderful reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks...for commenting!!